Items
-
Fishing off the Wharf, Beverly, Mass.
Fishing off the Essex (Beverly/Salem) Bridge. -
Queen Hotel
Queen Hotel, 37 Lothrop Street (Independence Park). The hotel opened June 1889 and was destroyed by fire November 24, 1891. -
Residence of Mr. N. P. Proctor - North Beverly
Residence of Mr. N. P. Proctor. -
J. C. Phillips Nature Preserve ; Rt. 97, Beverly, Massachusetts
Contour map and trail map of the J. C. Phillps Nature Preserve, Beverly, Mass. -
Francis H. Peabody estate
Estate of Francis H. Peabody, 53 Ober Street (now Lynch Park). Peabody was head of the Boston banking firm of Kidder, Peabody & Co. He died at his Beverly home September 22, 1905. -
Hospital Point from Patch's Beach
Hospital Point from Patch's Beach. -
Summer residences
Bluff above Patch's Beach looking east toward Brackenbury Lane. -
The old cornmill
The old grist mill located on Elliott Street, opposite McKay Street. The schooner is the Island City which hauled corn from Long Island. The mill was built and owned by John Friend, possibly as early as 1650 and burned June 4, 1889. -
Beverley Old Flemish room (St. Mary's)
Old room, Beverley, England. -
Charles H. Odell
Portrait of Charles H. Odell, 2nd mayor of Beverly who served for the year 1896. -
Ober St.
Ober Street looking east from near Elm Top Lane. -
Residence of Mrs. Seth Norwood - Beverly
Norwood mansion, 104 Cabot Street. -
Norwood Mansion, where Washington and Lafayette were entertained
Norwood mansion, 104 Cabot Street. -
Private car storage barn at North Beverly station
Photograph of private passenger car storage building at North Beverly Railroad Station, Enon Street at Dodge Street. The building was located north of the northbound platform. The building has been torn down. -
North Beverly depot, ca. 1900
Photograph of Boston and Maine Railroad, North Beverly Railroad Station, Enon Street at Dodge Street. The view is northbound towards Newburyport. The buildings have been torn down. -
Train for Boston at North Beverly station
Photograph of Boston and Maine Railroad, North Beverly Railroad Station, Enon Street at Dodge Street. The building has been torn down. -
North Beverly station
Photograph of Boston and Maine Railroad, North Beverly Railroad Station, Enon Street at Dodge Street. The building has been torn down. -
North Beverly Fire Station
North Beverly Fire Station, intersection of Dodge and Cabot Streets. The station was completed in October 1907 at a cost of $25,000. The architects were Cooper and Bailey of Boston and the general contractor was Andrew Stanley of Beverly. -
North Beverly Fire Station under construction
North Beverly Fire Station, intersection of Dodge and Cabot Streets. The station was completed in October 1907 at a cost of $25,000. The architects were Cooper and Bailey of Boston and the general contractor was Andrew Stanley of Beverly. -
North Bar, Beverley
North Bar (City gate) Beverley, England. -
North Bar, Beverley
North Bar, Beverley, England. -
North Bar, Beverley
North Bar (City gate) Beverley, England. -
Soldiers' Monument
View of the Civil War Soldiers' Monument from Hale Street. -
Old burying ground
View of the Abbott Street Burial Ground with City Hall in the left background and the First Baptist Church behind the cemetery. -
Montserrat Station, Beverly, Mass.
Photograph of a postcard of Boston and Maine Railroad, Montserrat Railroad Station, Essex Street opposite Parammatta Road. The station was built in 1884, designed by Boston architect Arthur Rotch who summered on Neptune Street and built by Henry B. Wallis. The building has been torn down. -
A view from Montserrat Highlands
Photograph of Boston and Maine Railroad, Montserrat Railroad Station, Essex Street from Montserrat Highlands. The station was built in 1884, designed by Boston architect Arthur Rotch who summered on Neptune Street and built by Henry B. Wallis. The building has been torn down.; "Montserrat Station, Beverly, from the hill looking east." -
Pres. Taft's special train at Beverly, Mass.
Photograph of President William Howard Taft's special train at Montserrat Station. The summer White House was in Beverly at Lynch Park from 1909-1910 and at Parramatta, off Corning Street, from 1911-1912. -
Station Montserrat
Photograph of Boston and Maine Railroad, Montserrat Railroad Station, Essex Street opposite Parammatta Road. The station was built in 1884, designed by Boston architect Arthur Rotch who summered on Neptune Street and built by Henry B. Wallis. The building has been torn down. -
Tea Room at Lynch Park ready to be moved
Photocopy of a photograph of the Dawson Hall Tea Room or "Monastery" being moved to the Evans Estate, 55 Ober Street. Marie Evans purchased the building from the Sohier family. It was destroyed by fire the night of June 28, 1966. -
Salem Sound from Mingo Beach hill
Salem Sound looking east from Hale Street at Mingo Beach Hill. The picture was taken at noon on November 7, 2002. -
Mingoe's Beach, Beverly, Mass.
View of Mingo Beach, Hale Street. -
Lynch Park : View of the Monastery Entrance
Dawson Hall Tea Room, also known as the "Monastery", at David S. Lynch Memorial Park, 55 Ober Street. The building was destroyed by fire the night of June 28, 1966. -
Lynch Park. View of the Monastery
Dawson Hall Tea Room, also known as the "Monastery", at David S. Lynch Memorial Park, 55 Ober Street. The building was destroyed by fire the night of June 28, 1966. -
Beverly Public Library staff
Photograph of the staff of the Beverly Public Library taken in the 1970s. -
Beverly Public Library staff
Photograph of the staff of the Beverly Public Library taken at the Library's centennial in 1955. -
Beverly Public Library staff
Photograph of the staff of the Beverly Public Library probably taken in the 1913. -
Beverly Public Library staff
Photograph of staff members of the Beverly Public Library 1913.; -
Beverly Public Library in Town Hall
Photographs of the Beverly Public Library rooms in Town Hall. From 1855 to 1913 the library occupied rooms in Town Hall. The Library moved into its present building in 1913. -
Reading Room, Beverly Public Library
Reading Room, Beverly Public Library, 32 Essex Street. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Cass Gilbert. The Library was opened in 1913 and remodelled in 1993. Prior to this, the Library was housed in City Hall. -
Children's Room, Beverly Public Library
Children's Room, Beverly Public Library, 32 Essex Street. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Cass Gilbert. The Library was opened in 1913 and remodelled in 1993. Prior to this, the Library was housed in City Hall. -
Circulation Desk, Beverly Public Library
Circulation Desk, Beverly Public Library, 32 Essex Street. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Cass Gilbert. The Library was opened in 1913 and remodelled in 1993. Prior to this, the Library was housed in City Hall. Marion A. Brown, Head Librarian, is working behind the desk. -
King's Cove on the Bass River (Beverly, Mass.)
"From the Green lands looking north toward the lands of William King. -
J. F. Kilham
J. F. Kilham store, 87 Rantoul Street. -
Italian Garden - Evans Estate, Beverly, Mass.
Italian Garden at David S. Lynch Memorial Park. Mrs. Marie Evans had the gardens constructed on her estate in 1910 after she removed the home which she rented to President William Howard Taft for the Summer White House in 1909 and 1910. -
Italian Garden - Evans Estate, Beverly, Mass.
Italian Garden at David S. Lynch Memorial Park. Mrs. Marie Evans had the gardens constructed on her estate in 1910 after she removed the home which she rented to President William Howard Taft for the Summer White House in 1909 and 1910. -
Italian Garden - Evans Estate, Beverly, Mass.
Italian Garden at David S. Lynch Memorial Park. Mrs. Marie Evans had the gardens constructed on her estate in 1910 after she removed the home which she rented to President William Howard Taft for the Summer White House in 1909 and 1910. -
Italian Garden - Evans Estate, Beverly, Mass.
Italian Garden at David S. Lynch Memorial Park. Mrs. Marie Evans had the gardens constructed on her estate in 1910 after she removed the home which she rented to President William Howard Taft for the Summer White House in 1909 and 1910. -
Huntoon's store
Huntoon's grocery store, 83 Hale Street, owned by Benjamin Huntoon. -
Hotel Beverly
Hotel Beverly, 5 - 7 Mill Street. -
Hospital Point
Hospital point from Rice's Beach. -
Photographs of Beverly High School
Series of photographs of Beverly High School, now Briscoe Middle School. The school was designed by the Boston firm of Adden & Parker. The school opened in 1923 and Beverly High School moved to 100 Sohier Road in 1965 and the building was converted to Briscoe Middle School. -
Beverly High School architect's rendering
Architect's rendering of Beverly High School, 100 Sohier Road. This building opened in June 1965, replacing the building at 7 Sohier Road which is now Briscoe Middle School. -
Highover, side view
Side view of "Highover", the estate of Amb. William Phillips, 801 Cabot Street. The house was built about 1912 and destroyed by fire on the night of October 11, 1968. This is now the site of the Phillips Nature Preserve. -
Highover, rear view
Rear view of "Highover", the estate of Amb. William Phillips, 801 Cabot Street. The house was built about 1912 and was destroyed by fire the night of October 11, 1968. This is now the site of the Phillips Nature Preserve. -
Highover, front view
Front view of "Highover", the estate of Amb. William Phillips, 801 Cabot Street. The house was built around 1912 and destroyed by fire on the night of October 11, 1968. This is now the site of the Phillips Nature Preserve. -
Highover, side view
Side view of "Highover", the estate of Amb. William Phillips, 801 Cabot Street. The house was built about 1912 and destroyed by fire on the night of October 11, 1968. This is now the site of the Phillips Nature Preserve. -
Highover, rear view
Rear view of "Highover", the estate of Amb. William Phillips, 801 Cabot Street. The house was built about 1912 and destroyed by fire on the night of October 11, 1968. This is now the site of the Phillips Nature Preserve. -
View of Wenham Lake from Highover
View of Wenham Lake from "Highover", the estate of Amb. William Phillips, 801 Cabot Street. The house was built about 1912 and destroyed by fire on the night of October 11, 1968. This is now the site of the Phillips Nature Preserve. -
Highover, rear view
"Highover", the estate of Amb. William Phillips, 801 Cabot Street. The house was built about 1912 and destroyed by fire on the night of October 11, 1968. This is now the site of the Phillips Nature Preserve. -
Highover, front view
"Highover", the estate of Amb. William Phillips, 801 Cabot Street. The house was built about 1912 and destroyed by fire on the night of October 11, 1968. This is now the site of the Phillips Nature Preserve. -
Old elm on Hale St. - about 225 years old
Old elm tree on the edge of Beverly Common on Hale Street. This view is Hale Street looking west from Dane Street. -
"The park" Hale St.
Hale Street looking north. Mingo Beach is behind the wall in the left background. -
Dr. Haddock, Sr.
Photograph of Dr. Charles Haddock, Sr. Dr. Haddock was born July 14, 1822 in Hanover, N.H. and died in Beverly, Mass. October 10, 1889. -
Dr. Haddock, Jr.
Photograph of Dr. Charles Haddock, Jr. Dr. Haddock was born June 3, 1856 and died December 13, 1918. -
On the Green lands looking across Bass River toward Beverly
View of Beverly from Green's Hill, Ryal Side. The photograph was taken about 1870 with Adoniram Porter on the left and John B. Hill on the right. -
Mr. John B. Hill standing on the Green lands looking north toward the old cornmill
View of north from Green's Hill, Ryal Side, across the Bass River toward Elliott Street. The photograph was taken about 1870. The old cornmill on Elliott Street stands in the rear center of the picture. -
Green's Hill
View of Beverly from Green's Hill, Ryal Side. -
John Green House
"Built about 1680, torn down 1894. It stood on Bridge Street, opposite Winthrop Avenue." -
Looking north up Cabot St. Rantoul Street at lower left
View of the Gloucester Crossing railroad crossing at Cabot and Rantoul Streets, looking north. The crossing is on the Gloucester Branch of the Boston and Maine Railroad. -
Gloucester Crossing looking east towards Montserrat, Colon St.
View of the Gloucester Crossing railroad crossing at Cabot and Colon Streets, looking east toward Rockport. The crossing is on the Gloucester Branch of the Boston and Maine Railroad. -
G.A.R. Beverly
Photograph of members of the G.A.R. -
G.A.R. Hall
G.A.R. Hall located at 254 Cabot Street. The building was moved in the 1940's to 8 Dane Street. -
Frank Woodberry factory
Frank Woodberry factory, Park Street at the corner of Federal Street. -
Fountain - Evans Estate, Beverly, Mass.
Fountain at the estate of Robert and Marie Evans, Dawson Hall, at 55 Ober Street. In 1909 and 1910 President William Howard Taft rented a house from the Evans' for the Summer White House. The estate is now David S. Lynch Memorial Park. -
House in which the first Sunday school in New England was held, 1810
Reputed to be the First Sunday School in America established by Joanna Prince (later Mrs. Joanna Everett) and Hannah Hill in this house, corner of Front and Davis Streets, in 1810. -
Vestry of the First Baptist Church, Beverly, Mass.
Vestry of the First Baptist Church, 254 Cabot Street (now the site of Beverly Cooperative Bank. The building was also at various times Beverly High School, the armory, G.A.R. Hall. It has since been moved to 8 Dane Street. Photograph circa 1880. -
First Baptist Church in Beverly, Massachusetts
Sanctuary of the First Baptist Church, 221 Cabot Street. The church, except for the steeple, was destroyed by fire August 26, 1975. The church was organized in 1800. -
Augustus P. Loring and General Edwards opening the Beverly Farms Branch Library 1915
Photograph taken at the dedication of the Beverly Farms Branch Library, 1915. Pictured are Augustus P. Loring and General Clarence R. Edwards. -
Essex Bridge, Beverly, Mass.
View of the old Essex Bridge, also known as the Beverly-Salem or Salem-Beverly Bridge. -
Endicott building
Endicott Building, 155 Cabot Street. Built by Prince Ober, general contractor. -
Class pictures from the Abraham Edwards Elementary School
Series of photographs of students of Jacqueline Auffrey at the Abraham Edwards Elementary School in Beverly taken between 1977 and 1997. The school was closed in June 2002. -
Abraham Edwards Elementary School students and staff celebrating the school's 75th anniversary, Spring, 1987
Abraham Edwards Elementary School, 45 Rantoul Street. The school was named for Abraham Edwards, who donated the land on which it stands. The school was dedicated October 19, 1913. The architect was John Ashton of Ashton and Huntress of Lawrence, Mass. and the general contractor was Louis H. McAloon of North Andover, Mass. The school was closed in June 2002. -
Playground dedication ceremonies at the Edwards School, Beverly, Mass.
Abraham Edwards Elementary School, 45 Rantoul Street. Dr. Francesca Gallucio-Steele, principal, presenting Mayor F. John Monahan a plaque of appreciation at the playground dedication ceremony, November, 1987. The school was closed in June 2002. -
S. Harvey Dow
Portrait of S. Harvey Dow, 9th mayor of Beverly who served from 1907 to 1908. -
Dodge Street (looking south)
Dodge Street looking south to the railroad crossing. -
Dodge's Row School
Dodge's Row School, 250 Dodge Street. The building was built in 1889 and burned October 5, 1905. The students were transferred to the Bass River School on Conant Street. -
George H. Thissell & Co.
George H. Thissell & Co., shoe manufacturers, 52? Railroad Avenue, corner of Hardy Street -
Dixie's Cove and Salter's Point
"From Ward One Playground, looking west. William Ryal hewed timber on these shores, 1630." -
Dirigo Creamery
Located at 98 Park Street, the Dirigo Creamery was established by Albert J. Garland in 1891. It made cream and ice cream products. -
Dawson Hall
Dawson Hall, 55 Ober Street, the summer home of Robert and Marie Evans. Robert Evans was the President of United States Rubber Co. and also a Trustee of the Museum of Fine Arts. Mrs. Evans donated the Evans Wing and an endowment to the Museum in memory of her husband. The house was orignally owned by Benjamin Burgess, father of Edward Burgess and grandfather of Edward Burgess, jr., both designers of America's Cup yachts. On the death of Marie Evans' sisters, Abby and Belle Hunt, the estate was left to Beverly Hospital, which sold it to the City of Beverly in 1943. -
David S. Lynch estate
Home of David S. Lynch, 25 Abbott Street. Lynch, along with his brothers Patrick and William, owned Lynch Bros. Leather. David Lynch gave to the City the David S. Lynch Memorial Fund which funds public park improvements including the purchase of David S. Lynch Memorial Park. -
Dane Street looking west from Essex Street
View of Dane Street from the intersection of Essex Street looking west toward Cabot Street. -
Dane St., Beverly
Stereopticon view down Dane Street. -
Crosby building
Crosby building, 323 Rantoul Street. The building was built by F.A. Crosby. -
Freeborn H. Cressy
Portrait of Freeborn H. Cressy, 3rd mayor of Beverly who served for the year 1897. -
Aerial view of the home of S. John Connolly
"Henrico", the estate of S. John Connolly, 64 Ober Street. -
"Henrico", home of S. John Connolly
"Henrico", the estate of S. John Connolly, 64 Ober Street. -
Company E
Eighth Regiment, Company E, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. Company E was formed in 1814, at the end of the War of 1812 and known as the Beverly Light Infantry. In the Civil War, they were organized as 8th Infantry Regiment, Company E, Volunteers and were the first Union company to report for duty in the Civil War. -
Residence of Mr. A. N. Clark - Beverly
Home of Mr. Augustus N. Clark, 19 Broadway.