Methodist Church, Albion Street, 1922

Title:
  • Methodist Church, Albion Street, 1922
Description:
  • "The Methodist Episcopal Church of Wakefield was organized on June 4, 1865 with a membership of 26. According to the Proceedings of the 250th Anniversary of the Ancient Town of Redding, services were held in the Universalist house of worship for the first four years until the congregation purchased Albion Hall at the corner of Albion and Foster Streets. After "several years of prosperity," a lot of land was purchased further west on Albion Street in 1873. Designed by T.B. Samuels of Boston, the Swiss timber constructed building "adapted to the 14th century Gothic outline" was completed and dedicated in February 1874 at an expense of more than $25,000 with a mortgage of half that amount remaining on the property. A parsonage was established in 1883 at 42 Chestnut Street. Through the "earnest efforts" of Rev. Gilbert Osgood and the "friendly offerings of the membership and other societies," the debt was lifted and a grand jubilee was held on April 9, 1886, complete with a mortgage burning ceremony which also featured "biscuits and griddlecakes provided by the Horford Baking Powder Company at no expense to the church." To say they were excellent would be expressing it mildly, according to the Wakefield Citizen & Banner. The 130' spire was struck by lightning three times: 1916, 1917 and 1926. The church's chimney fell victim to the Hurricane of 1938, causing it to crash to the roof, leaving extensive structural damage. The building was razed on October 11, 1938. Services were held in the Universalist Church for a year until a fire caused them to move to the Lafayette Building (now the Town Hall), the Grand Army building on Foster Street, and eventually to the current location on Vernon Street in 1955. Rev. Benjamin G. Seaboyer, appointed pastor in 1918, served in that capacity at the time of the photo and for a total of 15 years, making his the longest ministerial appointment." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2020
  • Photo courtesy of JC Marketing Associates
Date:
  • 1922
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Methodist Church, Albion Street, 1922,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed August 10, 2020, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3383.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.