East side of Main Street, circa 1900

Title:
  • East side of Main Street, circa 1900
Description:
  • "The picture provides a look at Wakefield's past, including homes and stores which were razed during the 1920s through the 1950s. To the left of the photo is the Italianate-style building which housed the Citizen & Banner, and in the center of the photo is the 1895 Richardson Light Guard Armory that was affected by the Cutler Bros. fire in 1911. At the right in the photo stands the house of Edward Mansfield that was torn down to build the Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, and further down the street is the old Bessey stable that was razed to make way for the Wakefield Trust Company. The third floor of the Taylor Building and the top of the 1871 Wakefield Town Hall are also visible on the upper left."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2017
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
Date:
  • ca. 1900
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“East side of Main Street, circa 1900,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed August 11, 2020, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3339.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.