Old Town House, circa 1894

Title:
  • Old Town House, circa 1894
Description:
  • "The advertisement and accompanying photo appeared in the Wakefield Souvenir of the Quarter-Millennial Celebration of the Settlement of Ancient Reading in 1894, and shows the 1834 Town House more than 20 years after it was moved from the Lower Common to the corner of Main and Salem Streets in 1873, and a third story was added. The building was occupied by Stillman J. Putney, a manufacturer of heels, rands and top piercings for footwear. In a synopsis of the business, it was noted that the 'cheapness of footwear' in the 1890s was the result of the manufacturing being divided into specialties. Putney manufactured heels in his factory which was 'fitted up with machinery of the most improved type, driven by an 8-horse power engine.'"
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2017
  • Photo courtesy of JC Marketing Associates
Date:
  • ca. 1894
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Old Town House, circa 1894,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed April 21, 2021, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3338.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.