250th anniversary celebration parade, May 28, 1894

Title:
  • 250th anniversary celebration parade, May 28, 1894
Description:
  • "The H.M. Warren Post No. 12, G.A.R. participated in the 250th anniversary celebration of the settlement and incorporation of the Ancient Town of Redding on Monday, May 28th, a day proclaimed as Settlers Day. Approximately 40 members of the Post were on board the float that held four cannons, one at each corner. The barge was 'appropriately decorated with flags and bunting, in charge of Quartermaster A.D. Merritt.' The Commander was Stephen W. Lufkin and Walter Hunt was the bugler. According to the back of the photograph, the identifications are as follows: '(front row, left to right) Maj. John M. Cate, W.J. Bridges, (unidentified), S.W. Phillips, N. Cowdrey, (next two unidentified), W.J. Mansfield, G.K. Walton, Oliver Walton, G.H.S. Driver, W.O. Giles. (Second row, left to right) John Day, (unidentified), D.P. Rolfe, John Day, (next two unidentified), S.W. Lufkin, Dion Malone, in front with the rifle. Mr. Brownell, standing at right of cannon." The name of John Day is listed twice in the identifications."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2017
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
Date:
  • 05-28-1894
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“250th anniversary celebration parade, May 28, 1894,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed October 25, 2020, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3330.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.