Fountain Engine No. 3, Crescent Street, circa 1886

  • Fountain Engine No. 3, Crescent Street, circa 1886
  • Fountain Company No. 3, a volunteer company which was not part of the Fire Department, was organized on August 23, 1875. The hand tub used by the company was built by Increase S. Hill sometime around 1835, and was purchased by Aaron Butler from Salem in 1873. The tub was painted red with a small portrait of the Yale Engine House Fire of 1859 on the side. First housed in a stable in rear of Main Street, opposite Albion Street, the hand tub was moved to Crescent Street, between Water and Lincoln Streets, in 1885. The small building was behind the Henry F. Miller & Sons Piano Company factory, which can be seen in the picture. Fountain No. 3 disbanded around 1888 and was replaced by Volunteer Hose No. 2. Fountain No. 3 hand tub was sold to Reading for $125. The new company used the building to house the Rumsey hand-drawn hose carriage the members had purchased at a cost of $275. It is reported that the building was later moved to Water Street, across from L.B. Evans, where it became home to a cigar store. Fountain No. 3 volunteers included (left to right) William M. Hanley, Benjamin C. Flockton, W.J. Dennett, William E. Parker, Charles H.T. Brown, S.E. Ryder, William L. Block, Albert D. Cate, J,.C. Gould, H.A. Simonds, William E. Cade, Charles Whiting, Irvin E. Phipps, Charles H. Pope, Arthur Skinner and James P. Goodhue."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2016
  • Photo from the collection of the late Murray Young, courtesy of David Parr
  • ca. 1886
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Fountain Engine No. 3, Crescent Street, circa 1886,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed May 13, 2021,


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.