Stereograph, Main Street, circa early 1870s

Title:
  • Stereograph, Main Street, circa early 1870s
Description:
  • "Taken as a stereograph by photographer C.F. Richardson, this picture shows Main Street looking north. In the left of the pictures is the 3rd meetinghouse of the First Parish Congregational Church which was razed in 1890. To the right of the church in the picture is the parish house and the 1834 Town House which stood on the Common until it was moved to the corner of Main and Salem Streets by J.M. Cate in 1873. The Yale Engine house is to the right of the old Town House. The bandstand had not yet been built. Along Main Street, from the center of the picture, is the brick Benjamin Wiley house, the Universalist Church, Day's bake house owned by Hosea L. Day, the Italianate style building which later houses the Citizen and Banner, a market, and Edward Mansfield's grocery store. The pictures also shows Main Street as it looked before the Rockery (1885) and the horse trough were built."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2015
  • Photo courtesy of JC Marketing Associates
Date:
  • 1870-1873
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Stereograph, Main Street, circa early 1870s,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed April 21, 2021, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3299.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.