Herrick Buick, 472 Main Street, circa 1947

  • Herrick Buick, 472 Main Street, circa 1947
  • "Herrick Buick at 472 Main Street was incorporated in 1945 when Fred Herrick, Sr. of Melrose purchase the Wakefield Buick Company and the building in which it was located. Herrick had previously served as Manager of the company for 10 years and had been associated with Buick for more than 28 years. When he purchased the company he became the 'appointed Buick dealer' for Wakefield, Stoneham and Reading. Herrick Buick expanded its services throughout the years, becoming the 'largest volume dealer' in its district. The Buick-built Opel Kadett line was added in 1966. In addition to the showroom for new and used car sales and service on Main Street, Herrick Buick also purchased the Avon Supply Building in 1968 at the corner of Avon Street and North Avenue as an additional showroom. The company also owned a separate automobile and truck body repair shop on Broadway for its expanded service department. Herrick Buick closed on January 31, 1974."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2015
  • Photo courtesy of JC Marketing Associates
  • ca. 1947
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Herrick Buick, 472 Main Street, circa 1947,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed April 21, 2021, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3297.


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.