Main Street, Lakeside, circa 1880s

Title:
  • Main Street, Lakeside, circa 1880s
Description:
  • "This photo, part of a stereograph, was taken along the shore of Lake Quannapowitt, looking south toward what appears to be Beebe's Cove. The fence at the left could have been part of the Beebe Estate and its farm, which consisted of flower gardens, melon patches, and substantial corn fields. The family also maintained a herd of approximately 100 milk cows and a number of stable horses. The third home of the First Parish Congregational Church can be seen in the background. Built in 1768, the church building faced west when built, but was turned to face south in 1859. The church building was considered to be too small and in need to repair; in 1887, the church members took the necessary steps to erect a new church on the same site. Farewell services were held on May 24, 1890 and the building was razed soon after."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2014
  • Photo courtesy of JC Marketing Associates
Date:
  • 1880-1889
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Main Street, Lakeside, circa 1880s,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed April 21, 2021, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3286.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.