Interior of the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Water Street circa 1890s

Title:
  • Interior of the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Water Street circa 1890s
Description:
  • Erected in 1881 at a cost of $5,000, the Emmanuel Episcopal Church was located on Water Street near the Center Depot, on the site that later became the L.B. Evans' Son shoe factory. Ground was broken in March 1881, with the first service held in August 1881. The chapel was enlarged in the early 1890s and remodeled into a 'homelike and attractive place of worship'. The interior was 'thoroughly renovated and refurbished' the following year, at an expense of more than $4,000. The new altar was a gift of Mrs. Daniel G. Walton. In the 1890s, the church was considered to be 'one of the prettiest and most convenient churches of its size in this vicinity'. The church was moved to the corner of Main and Bryant Streets through the generosity of Lidia Wright Pearson in 1900."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2014
  • Photo courtesy of JC Marketing Associates
Date:
  • 1890-1899
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Interior of the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Water Street circa 1890s,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed April 21, 2021, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3285.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.