Wakefield High School Students, Common Street at Lafayette Street, 1923

  • Wakefield High School Students, Common Street at Lafayette Street, 1923
  • "Wakefield High School pupils. teachers, staff and administrators walked through the downtown from their former school on Lafayette Street (now Town Hall) to their new school on Main Street, on Jun 4, 1923. The parade was led by the Superintendent of Schools Willard B. Atwell, Principal Charles J. Peterson, Sgt. Ernest Munroe, and Miss Irene Laughton of the office staff, followed by the high school battalion drum corps. The senior class was next in line, followed by the junior, sophomore and freshman classes who walked four-by-four to the school. The parade route was lined with students from the elementary schools, with the exception of the Greenwood and Montrose Schools. When they arrived at the new high school, the pupils wen to the rooms assigned to them and then assembled in the auditorium where Principal Peterson explained the rules and regulations and read the new orders students were to follow. Following recess and lunch, the students were dismissed for the day, with 'lessons' beginning the following day. The 'new' high school was located on Main Street where the Cyrus Wakefield estate once stood and was built at a cost of $450,000. The original high school building was destroyed by fire in December 1971. The site is now the Galvin Middle School parking lot."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2013
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
  • 1923
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Wakefield High School Students, Common Street at Lafayette Street, 1923,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed October 24, 2020, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3263.


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.