Wakefield Common, circa 1905

Title:
  • Wakefield Common, circa 1905
Description:
  • "The upper Common, pictured shortly after the dedication of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument which occurred in 1902. Before the Town received a bequest from Cornelius Sweetser of $10,000 which stipulated that the money be used to improve a public park, the common as we know it was a bit run down, with debris from a nearby tin shop littering the area and a ditch running through the upper Common. The Town agreed to match the donation in 1883 and the common was transformed by the park commissioners. The end result was the draining and regrading of the Upper Common and the addition of new fences. In 1990, the Common District, referred to as the land between Lake Quannapowitt, Main Street, Common Street, Church Street, and Lake Avenue, was added to the National Register of Historic places. The Upper Common was officially named as the Veterans' Memorial Common in 2011."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2012
Date:
  • ca. 1905
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Wakefield Common, circa 1905,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed August 12, 2022, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3256.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.