Wakefield Memorial High School, Main Street, circa 1955

Title:
  • Wakefield Memorial High School, Main Street, circa 1955
Description:
  • "Town Meeting voted in 1952 to build a new high school on Main Street next to the high school built in 1923. Wakefield Memorial High School opened in 1955 and was named to honor all those killed on the battlefield since the Civil War. The former high school, the Willard B. Atwell School, housed grades seven, eight and nine until the junior high school on Farm Street opened in December 1960 for grades seven and eight. The Willard B. Atwell building, which became part of the high school, was destroyed by fire in December 1971. Double sessions were held at Wakefield High School until a new high school was built on Farm Street in 1974. Wakefield Memorial High School was moved to Farm Street, and the junior high school, now the Galvin Middle School, moved to Main Street."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2011
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
Date:
  • ca. 1955
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Wakefield Memorial High School, Main Street, circa 1955,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed February 16, 2020, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3240.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.