Atkinson's Grocery Store, 1912

Title:
  • Atkinson's Grocery Store, 1912
Description:
  • "Ira Atkinson owned Atkinson's grocery and grain store located in the 1890s at 470 Main Street. According to an advertisement in the publication Representative Business Men of Wakefield, published in the late 1890s, Ira Atkinson opened the store in 1874. It also noted that the store was one of the 'oldest and most complete of its kind in Wakefield', and that Atkinson had three assistants. Atkinson dealt in 'groceries of all kinds, flour and grain, choice teas, coffees, spices, etc.', and was 'in a position to supply these commodities in any desired quantity and bottom prices to both large and small buyers.' The store occupied a space of 100' x 25' with a storeroom that enabled Atkinson to carry a large and complete stock of the items mentioned, 'together with others of minor importance.' The ad also boasted that Atkinson guaranteed everything he sold and 'always paid once hundred cents on the dollar'. Among the items sold was Butterine a name for margarine that was most often made from animal fat such as pork lard or beef tallow. When first introduced in England in 1869, it was called butterine until the late 1880s. The use of the word 'butterine' continued longer in America. Note the wooden barrels and scales throughout the store, as well as the grinder."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2011
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
Date:
  • 1912
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Atkinson's Grocery Store, 1912,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed October 15, 2021, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3239.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.