Wakefield Common circa 1910

Title:
  • Wakefield Common circa 1910
Description:
  • "Referred to as the 'Central Park' in the Descriptive Sketch of Wakefield, published in 1894, the Common was described as follows: 'The Central Park is most appropriately named, for it begins in the very heart of the town and extends along the eastern shore of Lake Quannapowitt for almost a mile. Of this beautiful sheet of water Mr. Sylvester Baxter has written 'Wakefield's lake, cherished and beautiful, plays an unusually important part in the life of the place. There is bathing in its waters, boating, canoeing and sailing on its surface in the summer; skating and ice-boating in the winter, besides band concerts, promenading and driving on its shores. The view up the lake deserves to rank among the notable park scenes in the country. There is a vista of something over a mile of sparkling blue water to the northward, where white-sailed yachts skim like swallows over the surface, and rowboats, and canoes glide gracefully about."
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2011
  • Photo courtesy of the Frederick D. Bodin, Bodin Historic Photo.
Date:
  • ca. 1910
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Wakefield Common circa 1910,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed July 27, 2021, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3227.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.