Woodville School, 1930

  • Woodville School, 1930
  • "The new Woodville School building opened its doors on September 8, 1920 on an extension of the 'old' lot, immediately to the rear of the former school building. The school was built in the center of the grounds which were reported to be between two to three acres. Its first principal was George E. Hayes of Marlboro, a graduate of Bridgewater Normal School. He also took 'special courses' at Boston University. The exterior of the building was made of red brick and granite trim, with three entrances. The porches were equipped with wrought-iron gates that were closed when school was not in session. The building was 'thoroughly modern' in every aspect, with electricity throughout, and more light in the school than in any other building in town. There were six classrooms to hold approximately 250 students in seven grades. One of the most attractive features and 'valuable provisions' of the building was the assembly hall to the right of the main entrance that was intended to host community/neighborhood activities. It had a spacious stage, portable footlights, connections for a stereopticon, and a trap door in the ceiling for a moving picture machine. The first floor contained the assembly hall, kitchen suite, principal's office, three classrooms, and lavatories the second floor held three classrooms, a library for reference and reading, a storeroom for books and supplies, an 'attractive' teachers' room, and an emergency room. A section of the roof was lower than the general roof to allow for the creation of an 'open air' classroom for children whose 'health indicated the need for this type of classroom.' The basement housed the modern furnace room, coal bins, lavatories for boys and girls, and separate playrooms for boys and girls, accessible from the outside, independent of the entrances to the buildings. After the passage of Proposition 2 1/2, the Woodville School was closed in the early 1980s, later opening as an alternative high school. The Woodville was rebuilt and opened as an elementary school in
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2004
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Item Company.
  • 1930
  • [Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Woodville School, 1930,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed August 8, 2022, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3220.



Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.