Three modes of transportation in Wakefield

  • Three modes of transportation in Wakefield
  • "The horse and buggy, the automobile and the electric street railway were prominent at the time this undated photograph was taken. The Wakefield & Stoneham Street Railway Company was organized in 1889, and chartered in May, 1892. The first tracks were laid in the summer of 1892, from the post office to the junction of Main and Elm Streets in Stoneham, a distance of about two miles. The first car made its run on August 14, 1892. Shortly thereafter, the Stoneham line was extended to Central Square in Stoneham, where connections were made with the Lynn and Boston Road to Melrose and Woburn. Tracks were later added to provide electric rail service from Wakefield center to Melrose, Wakefield Park on the West Side of town, Montrose, Lynn via Saugus, and Reading center. Electric rail service was slowly discontinued from 1919 to the early 1930's, when the trolley lines gave way to bus service." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1991
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
  • [Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Three modes of transportation in Wakefield,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed January 21, 2021,


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.