Post Office, Albion Street, April 1, 1924

Title:
  • Post Office, Albion Street, April 1, 1924
Description:
  • "After more than 20 years in the Richardson Building on Main Street, the Post Office moved to a new home at 9 Albion Street, between the Kingman and Caldwell Buildings, in 1924. When the Post Office opened for business on April 1, 1924, customers had to walk around the temporary shelter at the front of the building while construction workers finished the second floor. The Wakefield Item noted that the two-story brick structure 'presents a business-like compact and neat appearance from the outside with a revolving, four-sided door in the center. It is flanked on either side by mullioned windows.' The new building provided 2,000 square feet of working space, while the old quarters had 1,100 square feet of space. The lobby measured 26' x 13.5' with parcel post and general delivery windows to the right 'almost in front of the door'. An emergency general delivery and stamp window was located around the corner, open only in 'times of rush, such as Christmas. The call boxes of more approved types than the ones in the old building' were located to the left. Behind the window partitions were the rooms used by the carriers to sort the mail. At the rear of the building was the loading room and the platform, the entrance for which was from Chestnut Street. It was noted that the entrance would be available when the 'bank building is completed.' The carrier could wheel his routing cart beyond the swinging doors to the platform. The basement, 'known in the postal parlance as the swing room,' contained the carriers' lockers and equipment, as well as lavatories and a washroom, which were not quite fully installed in time for the opening. The Post Office occupied the building until January, 1937. The Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department bought the building in 1943." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2003
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
Date:
  • 04-01-1924
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Post Office, Albion Street, April 1, 1924,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed November 18, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/wakefield/items/show/3088.

Geolocation

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.