Bear Hill Golf Club, circa 1900

  • Bear Hill Golf Club, circa 1900
  • "According to the history published for the Wakefield Tercentenary observance, residents in the newly established Park Section of Wakefield organized a country club soon after the area was developed by Stendman Hanks. Headquartered on Morrison Road, the Bear Hill Golf Club moved to its first home on Hopkins Street in 1900, where a club house was built and a nine-hole golf course laid out. The Club purchased additional land in 1913, and, to meet the needs of the increasing membership, erected a new club house in 1920 on the south side of Prospect Street. A new nine-hole golf course was laid out. Several additional purchases of adjacent land over the years resulted in the lengthening of the golf holes. The second club house was destroyed by fire in 1939, and members rebuilt the clubhouse on the same site, using the existing foundation." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2000
  • Photo courtesy of Bear Hill Golf Club and Christopher J. Barrett.
  • ca. 1900
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Bear Hill Golf Club, circa 1900,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed May 17, 2021,



Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.