Albion Street at Railroad Avenue, 1908

  • Albion Street at Railroad Avenue, 1908
  • "Now one of Wakefield's busiest intersections, the Albion Street and North Avenue (known as Railroad Avenue until 1910) area appears to be quite tranquil in 1908. The railroad crossing was operated by an attendant who opened and closed the gates when a Boston and Maine train was approaching or departing from the station. The attendant's station is at the left of the photo. Several businesses were located in this area, the most prominent being the Harvard Knitting Mills, which appears at left in the photograph. Owned and operated by Elizabeth E. Boit and Charles N. Winship of Winship, Boit & Company, Harvard Knitting Mills moved to Wakefield in 1889, and to the Lake Street and Albion Street location in 1897. The firm would eventually occupy more than eight acres of space after several additions were made during a 20 year period. St. Joseph's Church, in the center of the photograph, owned much of the land bounded by Albion, Gould, Murray and West Chestnut Streets. The first parcel of land was purchased for the church in 1851 and a church was built soon after. During a five year period, from 1868 to 1873, 22,000' of land along Albion, Murray and Gould Streets was secured. A new house of worship, which was built in 1870, was moved closer to the railroad tracks, a basement was added and the building was turned to face the main thoroughfare, Railroad Avenue. The church building was lengthened by 75' with the addition of a nave in 1889. The cornerstone was laid on September 8, 1889, and the dedication was held in 1890. Additional land purchases were made in 1891 and 1892. Tuttle Street, 'a fine roadway cut by the railroad corporation,' was created in the mid-1890's. The first home of the parish (to the right of the church in the photo) was moved to Murray Street where it became Lyceum Hall, and later, the church hall." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1995
  • Photo courtesy of Wakefield Historical Society.
  • 1908
  • [Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Albion Street at Railroad Avenue, 1908,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed June 23, 2021,



Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.