Albion Diner, circa 1940

  • Albion Diner, circa 1940
  • "The Albion Diner at 23 Albion Street opened for business in November, 1935. The diner replaced Clifford Mortimer's lunch cart, 'the Dog Cart' which was located where the WMGLD Albion Street office now stands. Built by George Murphy and Walter Baltzer, the diner was bought by Albert Thompson of Lowell and James Riley of Wakefield in August, 1936. The pair sold the diner to Wakefield resident Ray Orde just a few months later. The diner was reported to be a 'favorite eating place' of many Wakefield residents and enjoyed a 'steadily expanding business.' In 1942, it was noted that table service was available for those who preferred not to sit at the counter. At the same time, it was said that 'whether a patron orders a sandwich or a complete dinner, he is assured of courteous and satisfactory service by the several counter men employed at the Albion Diner.' Ray Orde owned the diner until 1964 when the Wakefield Trust Company purchased three parcels of land behind the bank, including the diner, to build a 26-car parking lot. A public auction failed to find a buyer for the building in April, 1964, and on June 25th, 1964, the landmark diner was demolished, along with homes at 6 and 8 Chestnut Street." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2001
  • Photo courtesy of Wakefield Item Company.
  • ca. 1940
  • Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Albion Diner, circa 1940,” Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., accessed May 7, 2021,



Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.