Browse Items (1155 total)

mld18_backcover.jpg
Date: 2017
Description: "In November 2010, Town Meeting voted to fund a feasibility study for a new Galvin Middle School, and the groundbreaking for the new school was held on April 24, 2013. The school opened in September…[More]

mld18_insidebackcover.jpg
Date: 1903
Description: Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2018

mld18_december.jpg
Date: 1880-1889
Description: "The Captain Asaph Evens House was located on the north side of Salem Street, near the intersection of Pleasant Street. Local history indicates that the house was built before 1795, probably by Joseph…[More]

mld18_november.jpg
Date: 1880-1889
Description: "Located on the west side of Main Street, south of Albion Street, Richard Britton - Boots, Shoes and Rubbers was established on November 22, 1875. Britton, who bought the retail business from…

mld18_october.jpg
Date: 10-31-1923
Description: "This is a rare glimpse of the Kingman Block, now the Bourdon Block, at the corner of Main and Albion Streets, and of the Ye Barnard Inn on Albion Street. The photograph was taken on October 31, 1923…[More]

mld18_september.jpg
Date: 1880-1889
Description: "Located on the west side of Main Street, across from the Greenwood School, the Greenwood Seminary was established around 1855 under Universalist 'influence' by Rev. Windsor B. Wait, who served as…[More]

mld18_august.jpg
Date: 1930-1939
Description: "Best known as the Smith & Anthony Stove Company, the original foundry building on the west side of the Boston & Maine Railroad tracks was erected in 1854 by Abner Blanchard, Charles Tarbell, William…[More]

mld17_backcover.jpg
Date: ca. 1900
Description: "The picture provides a look at Wakefield's past, including homes and stores which were razed during the 1920s through the 1950s. To the left of the photo is the Italianate-style building which housed…[More]

mld17_insidebackcover.jpg
Date: ca. 1894
Description: "The advertisement and accompanying photo appeared in the Wakefield Souvenir of the Quarter-Millennial Celebration of the Settlement of Ancient Reading in 1894, and shows the 1834 Town House more than…[More]

mld17_december.jpg
Date: 1928
Description: "Driver Henry Russell, Chief Fred Graham and Tillerman Harry Parker (on the rear tiller) displayed Ladder 1 near the old fire station shortly after its arrival in Wakefield. The Town purchased its…[More]

mld17_november.jpg
Date: ca. 1946
Description: "Lifelong Wakefield resident Louis Pasquale opened Vernon Market at 161 Vernon Street on November 22, 1946. A veteran of the US Navy, Pasquale served in the South Pacific aboard the battleship USS…[More]

mld17_october.jpg
Date: 1967-1969
Description: "Charles John Klapes, a native of Theologos, a suburb of Sparta, Greece, opened the Colonial Spa on Saturday, August 28, 1920. Charles left his home in Greece in 1906 and was ready to start his new…[More]

mld17_september.jpg
Date: 09-1938
Description: "The Great New England Hurricane of 1938 is reported to be one of the deadliest and most destructive tropical cyclones to impact New England. The storm, estimated to have made landfall as a Category 3…[More]

mld17_august.jpg
Date: 08-26-1917
Description: "Richardson Light Guard, Company A, 6th Regiment departed Wakefield for Fort Devens, and eventually to the battlefields of France, on Sunday morning, August 26, 1917. The Company had been notified in…[More]

mld17_july.jpg
Date: 06-22-1962
Description: "'Teenage idol' Ricky Nelson was just 22 years old when he made his first New England appearance at Pleasure Island when it opened its fourth season on Friday, June 22, 1962. According to regional…[More]

mld17_june.jpg
Date: 06-25-1955
Description: "Members of Wakefield high School, Class of 1930 attended their 25th anniversary reunion at the University Club in Boston. Among the class members at the head table was Dr. Elizabeth V. Upham (sixth…[More]

mld17_may.jpg
Date: 05-28-1894
Description: "The H.M. Warren Post No. 12, G.A.R. participated in the 250th anniversary celebration of the settlement and incorporation of the Ancient Town of Redding on Monday, May 28th, a day proclaimed as…[More]

mld17_april.jpg
Date: 1870-1879
Description: "The South Reading Academy, located on Academy Hill where the Lincoln School was later built, was built around 1828-29 'under the auspices of the Baptist denomination.' The 2-1/2 story wood frame…[More]

mld17_march.jpg
Date: 03-17-1922
Description: "In 1916, the townspeople purchased a lot at the corner of Main and Avon Streets for $16,000. That same year, Junius Beebe, son of Lucius Beebe, donated $60,000 toward the construction of a new…[More]

mld17_february.jpg
Date: 02-25-1959
Description: "An antique 20-ton locomotive traveled on the back of a truck through downtown Wakefield just two weeks after the Greenwood railroad station made the same trek to Pleasure Island. The Davenport 2--6-0…[More]