Welcome to our Digital Heritage collection!
The Lucius Beebe Memorial Librarys Digital Heritage collection presents historical photographs, books, and other printed materials relating the history of our community.
The town of Wakefield, Massachusetts is a community of 24,664 residents approximately 10 miles north of Boston. Wakefield was settled as Lynn Village in 1638 and was incorporated as Wakefield in 1868. Wakefield covers 7.9 square miles and has two bodies of water: Lake Quannapowitt and Crystal Lake. Wakefield has an open town meeting and is governed by an elected Board of Selectmen.
Wakefield's beautiful Italianate First Baptist Church, with its 180 foot spire, stood on the common for almost 150 years until it was destroyed by a tragic fire in 2018.
Wakefield's postcard collection includes images of the town's most famous landmarks, both present and past, including Lake Quannapowitt and the old Pleasure Island Amusement Park, as well as many of the city's churches, schools, and public buildings.