Andrews Memorial Chapel, Swampscott, Mass.

  • Andrews Memorial Chapel, Swampscott, Mass.
  • The Andrews Chapel was built in 1923 in memory of Isaac H. Andrews through a bequest to the Board of Selectman from his wife Ellen E. Andrews. Mr. Andrews had served as a town assessor and on the Board of Selectman. The chapel was designed by Charles V. Burgess. "The building is of Norman Gothic design and constructed of seam-faced granite, which, together with the many buttresses, gives artistic appearance to the exterior walls. The roof is heavy variegated slate and all the flashings are of lead and copper. The exterior ornament of the building is of cut limestone." The chapel is located in the cemetary and in recent years has fallen into disrepair.--Jean F. Reardon, from Swampscott, Massachusetts : celebrating 150 years, 1852-2002, Swampscott Historical Commission, 2002 and --from Images of America : Swampscott, Turino and Mathias, 1996.
  • View of the exterior of Andrew's Chapel from the left side of the building. The front "tower" is missing and workers are repairing the roof.
  • Title provided by cataloger
  • Date estimated
  • 1930?


“Andrews Memorial Chapel, Swampscott, Mass.,” Swampscott Public Library, Swampscott, Mass., accessed June 24, 2021,


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.