Browse Items (423 total)

Fishermans_Beach_1957_800.png
Date: 07-29-1957
Description: Fisherman's beach, the Fish House, and many beach goers enjoying the sun and sand.

Monument_Ave_Rotary_800.png
Date: 1880 - 1955
Description: Rotary at Monument Avenue and Elmwood Road. Includes a view of the Mudge home known as Elmwood which was demolished in 1955.

New_Ocean_House_flags_800.png
Date: ca. 1930
Description: A view of the New Ocean House Hotel taken from the lawn.

New_Ocean_House_Postcard_800_1.png
Date: 1917-1969
Description: Front view of the New Ocean House Hotel taken from the beach. Includes the main building and the addition called Puritan Hall.

h12.jpg
Creator: Conner, Susan
Date: 05-08-2020
Description: Local historian Mary Cassidy discusses Swampscott’s New Ocean House, a nationally known resort that boasted such visitors as US Presidents, A-list actors, and popular singers of the day. View full…[More]

hou28.jpg
Creator: Conner, Susan
Date: 05-26-2020
Description: Swampscott’s Gilded Age is brought to life in this discussion with Historian Mary Cassidy. Mary highlights the Era of the Summer Estates as she discusses the homes and lives of the wealthy Boston…[More]

v7.jpg
Creator: Conner, Susan
Date: 05-25-2020
Description: Lou Gallo, our unofficial Town Historian, discusses Swampscott’s Fish House and our early fishing industry. We learn why the Fish House was built and what is unique about it. And did you know that…[More]

hh1b.jpg
Creator: Conner, Susan
Date: 06-11-2020
Description: Swampscott Historical Society President Molly Conner shares some of the history of the Humphrey House, which dates back to 1637 and was built by Sir John Humphrey, Deputy Governor of the Massachusetts…[More]

l3.jpg
Creator: Conner, Susan
Date: 06-26-2020
Description: Long time Swampscott Historic Commission member Sylvia Belkin shares her knowledge of one of Swampscott’s most illustrious residents, Elihu Thomson, who was a co-founder of the General Electric…

ch7.jpg
Creator: Conner, Susan
Date: 08-18-2020
Description: Deb Bogardus tells listeners about Andrews Chapel, a beautiful little non-denominational chapel located in the Swampscott Cemetery. Built in honor of a former town Selectman, the chapel had fallen…[More]

th3.jpg
Date: 1959
Description: The original Swampscott Town Hall was built in 1860 for a total of $4,381.43 including the land. It was located at Burrill Street -- the site of the present day fire station. The first town meeting…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

th2b.jpg
Date: 1959?
Description: The original Swampscott Town Hall was built in 1860 for a total of $4,381.43 including the land. It was located at Burrill Street -- the site of the present day fire station. The first town meeting…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

th2a.jpg
Date: 1959?
Description: The original Swampscott Town Hall was built in 1860 for a total of $4,381.43 including the land. It was located at Burrill Street -- the site of the present day fire station. The first town meeting…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

th1c.jpg
Date: 1959?
Description: The original Swampscott Town Hall was built in 1860 for a total of $4,381.43 including the land. It was located at Burrill Street -- the site of the present day fire station. The first town meeting…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

th1b.jpg
Date: 1959?
Description: The original Swampscott Town Hall was built in 1860 for a total of $4,381.43 including the land. It was located at Burrill Street -- the site of the present day fire station. The first town meeting…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

th1a.jpg
Date: 1959?
Description: The original Swampscott Town Hall was built in 1860 for a total of $4,381.43 including the land. It was located at Burrill Street -- the site of the present day fire station. The first town meeting…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

sun9.jpg
Date: 1937
Description: The Sunbeam Inn operated from the 1920's until 1955. It consisted of the main building, which housed a dining room and dance floor, a vegetable stand, a barn and greenhouse, and Gerould's Ice Cream…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

sun8.jpg
Date: 1937
Description: The Sunbeam Inn operated from the 1920's until 1955. It consisted of the main building, which housed a dining room and dance floor, a vegetable stand, a barn and greenhouse, and Gerould's Ice Cream…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

sun7.jpg
Date: 1937
Description: The Sunbeam Inn operated from the 1920's until 1955. It consisted of the main building, which housed a dining room and dance floor, a vegetable stand, a barn and greenhouse, and Gerould's Ice Cream…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

sun6.jpg
Date: 1937
Description: The Sunbeam Inn operated from the 1920's until 1955. It consisted of the main building, which housed a dining room and dance floor, a vegetable stand, a barn and greenhouse, and Gerould's Ice Cream…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings