Crowninshield-Bentley House

Title:
  • Crowninshield-Bentley House
Creator:
  • The Moulton-Erickson Photo Co.
Description:
  • The Crowninshield-Bentley House is a Colonial house in the Georgian style, located at 126 Essex Street. It is currently owned by the Peabody Essex Museum.

    The house was originally built for sea captain John Crowninshield at a site on 106 Essex Street. It is a symmetrical five-bay structure, clapboarded, two stories tall, with three small dormers through the roof, and a central entry door. The building was moved to its present location some time after 1959, at which time it was restored.

    Four generations of Crowninshields lived in the house until 1832. Its main historical interest centers upon Reverend William Bentley, a boarder from 1791 to 1819.

    For more information, please see Jerome Curley's article in the Salem Patch: http://patch.com/massachusetts/salem/a-history-of-salems-horror-house
Date:
  • Between 1891-1901
Subject:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Frank Cousins' Bee-Hive
Rights:
  • No copyright restrictions.

Citation

The Moulton-Erickson Photo Co., “Crowninshield-Bentley House,” Salem Public Library, accessed November 13, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/salem/items/show/56.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.