Welcome to our Digital Heritage collection!
The Salem Public Library's Digital Heritage collection presents images from the historic snowfall of the winter of 2014-2015. Collections of images relating the history of our community are in process and will be added to the site in the coming months..
The Salem Public Library was originally built as a home for Captain John Bertram and his family. In 1855, the Bertram family moved from their smaller house at 24 Winter Street and took up residence in their new High Style Italianate brick and brownstone mansion at 370 Essex Street. After Bertram’s death, his widow and daughters offered the mansion on Essex Street to the City of Salem for use as a Public Library. The offer was accepted and the Salem Public Library opened its doors on July 8, 1889.
In 2015, Salem had one of its snowiest 30-day periods on record, with over 70 inches falling between January 12th and February 10th. Other towns in Essex county and nearby Suffolk county also topped the previous record set during the infamous Blizzard of '78. During the month of February, Salem had a total of 18 days with measureable snow fall. Additionally, February was one of the coldest of any month on record for the town, with an average temperature of only 17 degrees.
This image collection shows the impact of the stormy weather on the Salem Public Library.