The Everett Tuberculosis Hospital was built as a wing to the already standing Everett Contagious Hospital in 1915 to handle the large number of communicable diseases in Everett. It operated for 2 years, but was too small to handle the case load.
Ferry Street, between Chestnut St. and Reed Ave, Jan. 25, 1932. If you look to the far upper right, you can see the Quincy Oil filling station sign. The Quincy Oil station stood on that spot until 1974, when the Arab Oil Embargo put many small stations out of business.
The Everett YMCA building was erected in 1888 and demolished in July, 1987. The YMCA sold the building to the Immaculate Conception Church in the mid-1920s. It was used as a parish hall until the mid-1980s, when the Edmund Sviokla Center was opened on Summer Street.
Townspeople in front of 464 Broadway, corner of Broadway and Church Street. The horse and cart on the left belong to Nathaniel A. Dill, baker and caterer, whose business took up part of the building. The Everett Savings Bank building still stands on this corner.
Looking north on Broadway from the corner of Chelsea St. The Associates Building is on the right, and the First Congregational Church dominates the left. Taken in about 1910
A block of businesses in Everett Square, December 22, 1955. Most of these buildings were demolished in 1969 to make way for the Star Market. After Star moved out, the building has housed a multitude of drug stores, the most recent (as of 2021) being Walgreens.
A block of stores on Broadway, Everett Square. Probably taken in about 1945. Although the businesses have changed, the buildings are all still standing as of 2021
Everett Square looking north on Broadway from in front of the Parlin Library. In the background is the Masonic Building and a banner promoting William McKinley for President
A view of the Everett National Bank building on Broadway, 1927. To the left is Liggett's Drug Store. Across Cottage St. to the right is the Associates Building. All buildings in photo are still standing.
Everett Hall, also known as the Masonic Building, was destroyed on the night of January 24, 1908. The building, on the corner of Broadway and Chelsea St., suffered $60,000 (Approx. $ 1.9 Million in 2021 Dollars) damage. A new structure, the Associates Building was built on the spot. That building is still standing.
The Everett Elks Club had a booth set up in front of the Parlin Library to raise money selling War Bonds. Proceeds from this effort were used to support the World War II campaign. This program evolved into the United States Savings Bonds.
Elisha Alden Loring was born October 25, 1843 in South Malden (later Everett) Massachuetts. He served in the Civil War in Company K. Thirty Eighth Massachusetts Volunteers and participated in the Banks expedition up the Mississippi River in 1863 and in the Port Hudson campaign. He was once slightly wounded, but served three years while in the war. He passed away January 1, 1915
The original Everett High building on Summer St. served in that capacity from 1892 to 1922, when the high school on Broadway was completed. The building housed the Everett Vocational High School until 1978, when the vocational program was merged with the rest of Everett High.
Members of the Everett Car Club show off their late model vehicles on Broadway in front of the Parlin Library. The tower in the background is the old Everett YMCA building on Chelsea St.
Staff of Kimball Drug Store pose in front of Associates Building, corner of Broadway and Chelsea St. Pictured are John Harding, Maria Emery, C. Herbert Howard, and Henry R. Davis.