Bulfinch Hall sitting in a Pasture.

Title:
  • Bulfinch Hall sitting in a Pasture.
Description:
  • Bulfinch Hall, once called The Brick Academy was built in 181 to replace its wooden predecessor, which had burnt to the ground. It served as the main academy building or Classic Hall from 1818 to 1843 and then for the Classical Department only until 1866. From then until 1896, when it was gutted by a fire, it was the gymnasium. In 1902 it became a dining hall, and lastly the home of the English Department in 1937. Bulfinch has served the academy well over the centuries.Before the days when mowers roamed the campus, here is a view of the west side of Bulfich, reached by a well worn dirt path through a pasture.
Date:
  • 1875
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Andover, Mass. : Phillips Academy
Rights:
  • Communications Department Phillips Academy

Citation

“Bulfinch Hall sitting in a Pasture.,” Phillips Academy, Andover, accessed October 16, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/phillips/items/show/1596.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.