Browse Items (278 total)

  • Collection: Abbot Academy and Phillips Academy History

AndoverInnConstruction1930byGeorgeHDow.jpg
Creator: George H. Davis Studio
Date: 1930
Description: The Andover Inn, also called Phillips Inn, has also had two buildings, as well as once being called Mansion House. The first hotel connected to the school was the former home of the Phillips family…[More]

AndoverInn1930byGeorgeHDow.jpg
Creator: George H. Davis Studio
Date: 1930
Description: The Andover Inn, also called Phillips Inn, has also had two buildings, as well as once being called Mansion House. The first hotel connected to the school was the former home of the Phillips family…[More]

BrothersField001.jpg
Creator: George H. Davis Studio
Date: 1915
Description: Brothers Field was named for the Knapp Brothers, George of the Class of 1854 and Arthur who taught at the Academy in 1863. George provided the money to purchase the land for the fields. This…

BrothersField003.jpg
Creator: George H. Davis Studio
Description: Brothers Field was named for the Knapp Brothers, George of the Class of 1854 and Arthur who taught at the Academy in 1863. George provided the money to purchase the land for the fields. No outfield…[More]

BrothersField006.jpg
Creator: George H. Davis Studio
Description: Brothers Field was named for the Knapp Brothers, George of the Class of 1854 and Arthur who taught at the Academy in 1863. George provided the money to purchase the land for the fields. A hint of the…[More]

BrothersField007.jpg
Creator: George H. Davis Studio
Description: Brothers Field was named for the Knapp Brothers, George of the Class of 1854 and Arthur who taught at the Academy in 1863. George provided the money to purchase the land for the fields. The fields…

AndoverBookstore001.jpg
Creator: Giersach, Walter
Date: 09-29-1963
Description: Originally located on campus next to Newman House, the Andover Bookstore has been around for over 200 hundred years. It was originally owned by Mark Newman, the third principal of the academy. Besides…[More]

AndoverBookstore002.jpg
Creator: Giersach, Walter
Date: 10-28-1963
Description: Originally located on campus next to Newman House, the Andover Bookstore has been around for over 200 hundred years. It was originally owned by Mark Newman, the third principal of the academy. Besides…[More]

AndoverBookstore003.jpg
Creator: Giersach, Walter
Date: 09-29-1963
Description: Originally located on campus next to Newman House, the Andover Bookstore has been around for over 200 hundred years. It was originally owned by Mark Newman, the third principal of the academy. Besides…[More]

AndoverBookstore004.jpg
Creator: Giersach, Walter
Description: Originally located on campus next to Newman House, the Andover Bookstore has been around for over 200 hundred years. It was originally owned by Mark Newman, the third principal of the academy. Besides…[More]

AndoverBookstore005.jpg
Creator: Giersach, Walter
Date: 1963
Description: Originally located on campus next to Newman House, the Andover Bookstore has been around for over 200 hundred years. It was originally owned by Mark Newman, the third principal of the academy. Besides…[More]

BordenGym003.jpg
Creator: Graber, Richard
Date: 03-03-1977
Description: Construction on Borden Gym was started in 1900 and opened officially on March 22, 1902 with a basketball game against the Harvard Freshmen. It replaced the gym that had been in Bulfinch Hall, which…[More]

BordenGym010.jpg
Creator: Loegard, John (Class of 1956)
Date: 1956
Description: Construction on Borden Gym was started in 1900 and opened officially on March 22, 1902 with a basketball game against the Harvard Freshmen. It replaced the gym that had been in Bulfinch Hall, which…[More]

Bartlett002.jpg
Creator: Mettler(sp?) Instrument Co.
Date: 1957
Description: Bartlet Hall was dedicated in 1821 by the Seminary, a gift of Captain William Bartlet of Newburyport. It was the second Bartlet Hall on campus as Barlet Chapel (now Pearson Hall) was originally called…[More]

Foxcroft(wasPhillips)001.jpg
Creator: Minard
Date: 1946
Description: Foxcroft Hall, originally called Phillips Hall, was built by the Seminary in 1809, a gift of Phoebe Foxcroft Phillips and her son John. It served primarily as a dorm. It was purchased by the academy…[More]

AndoverInnManagersSuite3rdFlrbyBenjMorse.jpg
Creator: Morse, Benjamin
Date: 1930
Description: The Andover Inn, also called Phillips Inn, has also had two buildings, as well as once being called Mansion House. The first hotel connected to the school was the former home of the Phillips family…[More]

AndoverInnSittingRm2ndFlrbyBenjMorse.jpg
Creator: Morse, Benjamin
Date: 1930
Description: The Andover Inn, also called Phillips Inn, has also had two buildings, as well as once being called Mansion House. The first hotel connected to the school was the former home of the Phillips family…[More]

AndoverInnDiningRm1byBenjMorse.jpg
Creator: Morse, Benjamin
Date: 1930
Description: The Andover Inn, also called Phillips Inn, has also had two buildings, as well as once being called Mansion House. The first hotel connected to the school was the former home of the Phillips family…[More]

AndoverInnLounge1byBenjMorse.jpg
Creator: Morse, Benjamin
Date: 1930
Description: The Andover Inn, also called Phillips Inn, has also had two buildings, as well as once being called Mansion House. The first hotel connected to the school was the former home of the Phillips family…[More]

AndoverInnDiningRm3byBenjMorse.jpg
Creator: Morse, Benjamin
Date: 1930
Description: The Andover Inn, also called Phillips Inn, has also had two buildings, as well as once being called Mansion House. The first hotel connected to the school was the former home of the Phillips family…[More]