Winship Mansion, Jordan Avenue, circa 1922

Title:
  • Winship Mansion, Jordan Avenue, circa 1922
Creator:
  • Winship, Charles Newell
Description:
  • "The Winship Mansion, also known as the Winship estate, was home to Charles Newell Winship, who along with Elizabeth E. Boit formed a partnership under the firm name of Winship, Boit & Company. In 1888, the two established the Harvard Knitting Mills in Cambridgeport, relocating to Wakefield's Taylor Block in 1889, and later to Albion Street. A native of Needham, Charles Winship lived on Pleasant Street before building the spacious home on Jordan Avenue in the early 1900s. The estate overlooked much of the town, particularly the Harvard Knitting Mills. In 1922, he purchased 12 acres of surrounding land which he developed. The development, comprised of Newell Road, Walter Avenue and Fox Road, was known at the time as Winship Manor. After his death in 1946, his family sold the 9.1 acre estate to the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in early 1947. The estate was used as a convent which housed more than 40 Sisters of Nazareth. An academy was later built on the convent grounds. The convent and its grounds were sold in 1978 to a developer who built single family residences." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1999
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Item Company.
Date:
  • ca. 1922
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

Winship, Charles Newell, “Winship Mansion, Jordan Avenue, circa 1922,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed September 19, 2018, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/7186.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.