Water Street, 1915

  • Water Street, 1915
  • "This view of Water Street from Cyrus Street looking west toward Wakefield Square shows the construction of the building at the corner of Columbia Road. According to the 1913 Town Report, Wakefield was growing rapidly with new construction throughout the Town. As a result, Town Meeting voted to create the position of Building Inspector on May 5, 1913. The Building Inspector reported two building permits issued from July 16 to December 1, 1914. The number of permits issued in 1915 increased to 53 by year's end. To accommodate the new construction and the increasing number of customers, the gas and light department was also busy, installing a gas main along Water Street to Farm Street, as well as the side streets. The street railway also traveled along Water Street from the car barns and power house at the intersection of Valley and Melvin Streets. The WMGLD was also working with the street railway to make the pole lines safer and more stable. This resulted in all utilities sharing the poles." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2003
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
  • 1915
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Water Street, 1915,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed June 30, 2022, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/7179.


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.