Wakefield Theatre Block circa late 1940s

  • Wakefield Theatre Block circa late 1940s
  • "The 1915 Appleton Building (named for the builder H.A. Appleton of Boston) housed the Wakefield Theatre, W.T. Grant Co. department store, Cataldos Pharmacy and Thom McAn shoe store. W.T. Grant moved into the building in August 1929 in a storefront previously occupied by three stores. A number of offices, business establishments, the Appleton Hall, and the social rooms of the American Legion and the Spanish War Veterans were located on the second floor. The Wakefield Theatre opened for business in January 1916 in the building owned by Samual Singer. Within 14 months, Princess Theatre owner Charles W. Hodgdon leased the Wakefield Theatre and remained as the owner for decades. The Wakefield Theatre Block had many fires throughout the years, the last one destroying the building in 1972. The Town Hall, at the right of the photo, was razed in October 1958." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2005
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Chamber of Commerce.
  • ca. 1947 - 1949
  • [Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Wakefield Theatre Block circa late 1940s,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed September 29, 2020, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/7161.


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.