"The Wakefield Council #104, Knights of Columbus, celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1994. It was on September 16, 1894 that John William Smith, along with William H. Butler, met with Wakefield men who they felt would be interested in starting a local K of C Council. The organization was founded 12 years earlier on the guiding ideals of charity, unity, fraternity, and patriotism. The meeting was held in the Connell & Curley Block building on Main Street in a room used by the St. Joseph's Christian Total Abstinence Society. One week later, 20 men passed a K of C examination and Council #104 was established the next Sunday. On September 30 and October 7, 1894, the first and second degrees were conducted in ceremonies which took place in the Odd Fellows Building in the Walton Building on Main Street. John W. Smith was elected as the first Grand Knight. During the past century, the Council has held its meeting in the Traders Building, Walton Building, Richardson Building, and in the Odd Fellows Hall in the Walton Block which was torn down to make room for the First National Supermarket in 1941. The Council moved to the Hibernian Hall on Foster Street and in 1945, the membership purchased the Council's first permanent home at 15 Foster Street. The current headquarters at 570 North Avenue was dedicated on April 27, 1963." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
(pictured, front row, left to right) J. Drugan, Sr., Frank O'Connor, Tom Dinan, Ed Payro, Bishop Collins, unidentified, Ray Dower, John Dignan, Greg Clines, Tom Hurton, and Pat Riordan. (Standing, left to right) Cronin, Asa Seabury, Leo Conway, Gene Lenners, George Morgan, Joe McInnis, Bill Reed, Tom Dinan, Jr., Father Halloran, Ed Gibbons, Frank McGuire, Paddie Butler, Jack Kelleher, Maurice Donovan, Marty Roche, Art McTague, Mike Hurton, Bill Donegan, Frank Costello and Francis White.
Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1995
Photo courtesy of Knights of Columbus Council #104.