Steamer Minnie Maria, circa 1873

Title:
  • Steamer Minnie Maria, circa 1873
Description:
  • "The steamer, Minnie Maria, was built by Augustus Taylor, who 'had Mr. Moody do the actual work on the steamer,' according to the diary of Capt. James F. Emerson. The steamer was launched on Lake Quannapowitt on June 10, 1871. In 1874, a 30' canal was started through Reading Meadow to take Reading residents aboard, but was later abandoned. The steamer was drawn out of the lake on November 26, 1874, and, on May 24, 1876, the steamer was drawn to Spy Pond in Arlington by ten horses. The Minnie Maria was destroyed by fire in February 1878. In the photograph, the Minnie Maria was opposite 'the Carpenter's house - to the left of the steamer was Mrs. Courtney's laundry,' according to an entry in the diary." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1992
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
Date:
  • ca. 1873
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • [Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Steamer Minnie Maria, circa 1873,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed January 20, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/7083.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.