Perkins Block, October 9, 1940

  • Perkins Block, October 9, 1940
  • "Located in the Perkins Block at the south corner of Main and Albion Streets, Bonney & Dutton's Old Corner Drug Store was owned by Riberot Dutton until 1940 when it was purchased by clerks Albert LeBlanc and George H. Logan. At the same time, plans were made to demolish the 3 1/2 story wooden building to construct a modern one-story business block by the building's new owners: Crystal Realty Corp. Part of the property which faced Main Street was not affected when the remainder of the building was razed because that part of the building had been completely altered and rebuilt with fireproof materials as a single store by the First National Stores. The upper stories were not used for commercial purposes for many years, the last occupant being the photographic studio of A.C. Saunders on the third floor. The second floor was used used for storage and laboratory purposes by Bonney & Dutton. During construction, Bonney & Dutton's drug store was open for business at 14-18 Albion Street, the former site of the Spero Bros. furniture store. The Charlie Chin Hand Laundry occupied a one-story ell in the back of the Drug Store, but relocated at 20 Albion Street before the building was razed. When the building was completed, the drug store occupied the former laundry space. The building later housed the Ames Rexall Drug Store until that store was destroyed by fire in March, 1974. Plans for the modern office building now at the corner of Main and Albion Streets were started in July, 1974." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1996
  • Photo courtesy of Wakefield Item Company.
  • 10-09-1940
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Perkins Block, October 9, 1940,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed September 29, 2020,


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.