North corner of Main & Center Street, 1894

  • North corner of Main & Center Street, 1894
  • "The building which housed the J.W. Poland Co. dry goods store (in the corner) and Quannapowitt Club (on the second floor) was decorated for the Town's 250th anniversary celebration. Known as the Gould Block, the building 'appeared in tasteful and brilliant array, under direction of the occupants.' In addition to a parade, other anniversary events included a concert by the Salem Cadet Band at the 'pagoda,' games and sporting events at the common, 'historical, literary and memorial exercises' attended by ticket holders at the Town Hall, a fireworks display near the southerly shores of Lake Quannapowitt, and the exhibition of historic articles and relics at the Guild Hall in the Wakefield Block." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1994
  • Photo courtesy of Wakefield Historical Society.
  • 1894
  • [Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“North corner of Main & Center Street, 1894,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed September 29, 2020,


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.