Main Street, Wakefield

Title:
  • Main Street, Wakefield
Description:
  • Photo courtesy of the Payro family and Louis Picardi.;"Lucius Beebe, author of 'Boston and the Boston Legend' and 'High Iron', a book about railroads, penned an article for the 1939 issue of 'House and Garden'. In this article, he spoke fondly about the history of the Beebe farm and the Town of Wakefield. He described Wakefield as 'twelve miles north of the Boston Stone on the western division of the Boston and Maine Railroad. (In 1840,) it was a rural community with its squire on the hill, its horse trough in the public square, its Main Street, Railroad Street and Mechanics Street, its common surrounded by various approved Protestant churches, its bandstand where the Richardson Light Guard's band achieved approximate harmony two evenings a week in the summer and its Lake Quannapowitt dotted with modest pleasure craft.'" -- The same area is now the Rockery. -- Text from calendar.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1988
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Main Street, Wakefield,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed January 22, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/7021.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.