John J. Round

  • John J. Round
  • Round, John J., 1872-1958
  • "John J. Round was one of Wakefield's foremost benefactors and leading citizens and was primarily responsible for the Crystal Lake area as we know it today. Born in East Boston on September 30, 1872, Mr. Round moved to Wakefield in 1878 and was a resident of 627 Main Street for many years until moving to 7 Francis Avenue. Mr. Round is best known for his generous donations of land to preserve the beauty of the community. He was also active in local affairs, serving as a member and former Chairman of the Board of Selectmen, Chairman of the Building Committee for the Atwell Junior High School, Trustee of the Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, President of the Wakefield Club, President of the Wakefield Improvement Association, and a director of the Wakefield Trust Company. He was also active on many boards and committees through the years. He presented several gifts to the community over the years including thousands of trees which he donated to beautify the town and protect the watershed around Crystal Lake. 10,000 trees were donated for the west shore of Crystal Lake on land which he bought and deeded to the town, 3,000 trees for the Mapleway Playground on abandoned land which he also bought and gave to the town, trees around Main Street and the Junction station on land which he eventually bought and gave to the town, pine trees at the foot of Crystal Lake, trees to replace those lost in Greenwood during the hurricane of 1938, and two large elms which were lost when the present Junior High School was built. Mr. Round also donated several additional acres of land around Crystal Lake which prevented encroachment of residential property and preserved the natural beauty of the lake. He was responsible for the wide width of Main Street south of Water Street after having convinced the town to move a retaining wall in front of the armory (now the Americal Civic Center) back nearly 20 feet. He also built the retaining wall which graces the front of the park which bears his name. In 1953, the community immortalized Mr. Round by dedicating the former Harts Hill Reservation in his name. Mr. Round passed away in April, 1958." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1990
  • Photos courtesy of the Wakefield Daily Item and the Wakefield Historical Society.
  • [Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


Round, John J., 1872-1958, “John J. Round,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed September 27, 2020,


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.