Greenwood Station

Title:
  • Greenwood Station
Description:
  • "Greenwood Station was one of six stations in the Town at the height of railroad usage. Built after the first train came through the Town in the mid 1840s, the Greenwood Station was located near the rear of Greenwood's first business block and in front of Mr. Locke's Greenwood Grove, a popular attraction for Boston residents who summered in the area. After the Greenwood Station was abandoned by the Boston and Maine Railroad, the Atlantic Refining Company announced plans to build a modern two-bay filling station in October 1958. Those plans were short-lived as the Selectmen granted permission to Cabot, Cabot and Forbes to move the 24-foot wide, 52-foot long, and 30-foot high building in early 1959. The Greenwood Station was moved to Pleasure Island where it was restored and painted and 'perched proudly' on a hill overlooking Goldpan Gulch. The station was destroyed by a spectacular fire that also destroyed Pleasure Island's Diamond Lil Saloon on April 1, 1971." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2005
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • [Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Greenwood Station,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed October 21, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/6964.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.