Cubby Hole Gift Shop, 380 Main Street, circa 1940s

  • Cubby Hole Gift Shop, 380 Main Street, circa 1940s
  • "The Cubby Hole Gift Shop opened for business at 436 Main Street under the ownership of George and Janice Jenkins on May 1, 1937. In 1939 they sold the store to Janice's cousin, Nathaniel Blackstone of Melrose. The shop specialized in 'selected cards and gifts for every age and occasion, staionery and children's toys. A complete line of office supplies and a lending library of the newest books' were also included in the stock carried. Blackstone moved the store to a modern one-story office building, the Curley Block, at the corner of Main and Mechanic (now Princess) Street in late 1939. Smith's Drugstore moved to the corner location while Cubby Hole moved into the former drugstore location. The new store was 16 feet x 70 feet, an increase in space that enabled Blackstone to carry a larger and varied stock. In December 1939, the store was 'filled with Christmas gifts of every description.' Men's gifts included military brush sets, cigarette boxes, match holders, and pen and pencil sets. Gifts for women included orange and tomato juice sets, wooden trays, compacts, bracelets, lamps, miniatures, and pins. The Cubby Hole moved to 20 Albion Street in the Hibernian Building after a fire partially destroyed the Curley Block on October 16, 1949. In November 1954, Frank H. Terhune bought the Cubby Hole Card and Gift Shop. The store was re-named as the Cubby Hole Stationers, Inc. in June 1969 to reflect its stature as the leading retailer in the office supply field in the greater Wakefield area. At the same time, Terhune's son-in-law, John A. Doucette, Jr., had 'joined the management ranks' as president and sales manager, along with his wife, Nancy Jean, who became vice president and treasurer. The Doucettes moved the store to 13 Princess Street in 1985. In 1992, Cubby Hole Stationers, Inc. was unable to compete with the office supply chain stores and closed, ending a 55-year tradition." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2003
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
  • ca. 1940 - 1949
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department


“Cubby Hole Gift Shop, 380 Main Street, circa 1940s,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed September 29, 2020,


Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.