Company A, April 7, 1917

Title:
  • Company A, April 7, 1917
Description:
  • "Company A, Sixth Regiment, was mustered into service at 9:30 p.m. on April 6, 1917. Soon after they were mustered into service, a call came into Captain Edward J. Connelly to hold the company in readiness for departure the first thing in the morning. Although they were given less than 12 hours notice and no public announcement, a crowd of over 1,000 people gathered at the armory by 8 a.m. the next day. The armory was crowded with wives, sisters, mothers, and sweethearts of Company A soldiers. Hundreds of small American flags waved in the crowd. Bugler Cheever made the call at 8:13 a.m. and the trucks lined up along Main Street. Large trucks owned by H.F. Miller & Sons Piano Co., G.E. Moncrief, Henry A. Feindel, and the Morrison-Skinner Co., were used to transport the men and supplies, in addition to the company's own truck previously given by the town." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 2003
  • Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.
Date:
  • 04-07-1917
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. ; akefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Citation

“Company A, April 7, 1917,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed January 20, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/6900.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.