Center House, Water Street, east of the railroad crossing, Winter, 1931

Title:
  • Center House, Water Street, east of the railroad crossing, Winter, 1931
Description:
  • "In historical publications, the Center House was listed as the site of the John Poole homestead, and also as the home site of Capt. Thomas Greene (the old miller) built before 1700. The Center House was named for its proximity to the Center Depot, and it may have been referred to as the Wakefield Boarding House. Several Wakefieldians remember a store and a tavern located on the first floor with apartments located above. Still others remember that it was used at some time as a hotel for travelers on the Danvers and South Reading Branch of Salem Railroad which was abandoned in 1926." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.
  • Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1995
  • Photo courtesy of Tony and Jean Giuliano.
Date:
  • 12-1930 to 02-1931
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department

Citation

“Center House, Water Street, east of the railroad crossing, Winter, 1931,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed April 22, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/6894.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.