Stowe House Comes to Rest

Title:
  • Stowe House Comes to Rest
Description:
  • In 1853 Harriet Beecher Stowe became interested in this building while she and her husband were living in Samaritan House during Calvin's teaching at the seminary. The building had a multitude of student activities held in it including coffin building and a dump. It was a shell at the time Harriet saw it, but the school had it renovated and the Stowe's held many school events here for faculty and student alike. In 1888 a wing was added and it served as the Phillips Inn until 1929 when the new inn was built and Stowe House was moved to Bartlet Street. After it retired as the Inn, Stowe House moved down the hill to its current location on Bartlett Street. They have just set the house on its new foundation asnd the boundary stakes are still in the ground. Grass and trees will be planted after the snows melt.
Date:
  • 1929
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Andover, Mass. : Phillips Academy
Rights:
  • Communications Department Phillips Academy

Citation

“Stowe House Comes to Rest,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed July 23, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/6102.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.