Foxcroft Hall's Churchill Memorial Room

Title:
  • Foxcroft Hall's Churchill Memorial Room
Description:
  • Foxcroft Hall, originally called Phillips Hall, was built by the Seminary in 1809, a gift of Phoebe Foxcroft Phillips and he son John. It served primarily as a dorm. It was purchased by the academy as part of the purchase of the Seminary in 1908. It had four stories as did Bartlet Hall, but in 1929 the top floor was removed to match the other dorms. This photograph shows the J. Wesley Churchill Memorial Room. Churchill was a graduate of both the Academy and the Seminary and taught at both as well as Abbot Academy. It was considered by many to be the finest elocutionist and reader of his time. His portrait is on the wall. The room was named for him in 1902.
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Andover, Mass. : Phillips Academy
Rights:
  • Communications Department Phillips Academy

Citation

“Foxcroft Hall's Churchill Memorial Room,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed July 23, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/6054.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.