Bulfinch Hall and the Boys on Break

Title:
  • Bulfinch Hall and the Boys on Break
Description:
  • Bulfinch Hall, once called The Brick Academy was built in 181 to replace its wooden predecessor, which had burnt to the ground. It served as the main academy building or Classic Hall from 1818 to 1843 and then for the Classical Department only until 1866. From then until 1896, when it was gutted by a fire, it was the gymnasium. In 1902 it became a dining hall, and lastly the home of the English Department in 1937. Bulfinch has served the academy well over the centuries. Sunny days would find the boys on the stairs and grass outside the halls. Coats would stay on, as required.
Date:
  • 08-1950
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Andover, Mass. : Phillips Academy
Rights:
  • Communications Department Phillips Academy

Citation

“Bulfinch Hall and the Boys on Break,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed July 21, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/6008.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.