Bulfinch Hall as a Gymnasium

Title:
  • Bulfinch Hall as a Gymnasium
Description:
  • Bulfinch Hall, once called The Brick Academy was built in 181 to replace its wooden predecessor, which had burnt to the ground. It served as the main academy building or Classic Hall from 1818 to 1843 and then for the Classical Department only until 1866. From then until 1896, when it was gutted by a fire, it was the gymnasium. In 1902 it became a dining hall, and lastly the home of the English Department in 1937. Bulfinch has served the academy well over the centuries. Here we see the apparatus for gymnastics such as Rings and Parallel Bars. Strong minds and strong bodies eventually had amde its way to the academy.
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Andover, Mass. : Phillips Academy
Rights:
  • Communication Department Phillips Academy

Citation

“Bulfinch Hall as a Gymnasium,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed July 23, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/6003.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.