The Brick House with an Array of Carriages and Coaches

Title:
  • The Brick House with an Array of Carriages and Coaches
Description:
  • The Brick House was built in 1832 on the site where the Phillips Memorial Gateway was built. It served as a printing house and a book store from 1832 through the 1860's, at which point Warren Draper relocated the business to Andover Center. It then was a boarding house for students, a secret society house for ODA Society formed in the 1870's, and lastly taken over by the trustees in 1908 and torn down in 1912. One might imagine this photograph was a funeral cortege, a trustee meeting or maybe a gathering of the Brick House Society. The latter was formed by George Hinman in 1907 to strengthen social and friendly relations.
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Andover, Mass. : Phillips Academy
Rights:
  • Communications Department Phillips Academy

Citation

“The Brick House with an Array of Carriages and Coaches,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed July 23, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/5986.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.