Blanchard House on Salem Street

Title:
  • Blanchard House on Salem Street
Description:
  • Blanchard House built shortly before the opening of the 19th century, by John Blanchard. By 1802 Deacon Amos Blanchard, the first cashier of the Andover Bank, owned the house and was permitted to take in seven Academy boys as boarders. Various renters over the years continued the practice, after the Seminary purchased the house in 1812. The Academy acquired it in 1908 as part of the purchase of the Seminary, and in 1928 it was moved from it's Salem Street location to Hidden Field on West Quad to make room for Commons. This photograph shows the house on its original site
Date:
  • 1927
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Andover, Mass. : Phillips Academy
Rights:
  • Communications Department Phillips Academy

Citation

“Blanchard House on Salem Street,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed July 23, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/5954.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.