Andover Bookstore's Fireplace

Title:
  • Andover Bookstore's Fireplace
Creator:
  • Giersach, Walter
Description:
  • Originally located on campus next to Newman House, the Andover Bookstore has been around for over 200 hundred years. It was originally owned by Mark Newman, the third principal of the academy. Besides a bookstore there was a print shop which became the first in this country to own a set of Hebrew type. The original building is no more, but the bookstore is in a new building in town at 89R Main Street, but it made short stops in the Brick House on campus and 37 Main Street in town before its current home. The gentleman in the photograph is F. A. Peterson, a member of the Class of 1934 and an English Department Faculty member from 1946-1981.
Date:
  • 1963
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • Andover, Mass. : Phillips Academy
Rights:
  • Communications Department Phillips Academy

Citation

Giersach, Walter, “Andover Bookstore's Fireplace,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed July 23, 2019, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/5898.

Social Bookmarking

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.